The things you do on every new Salesforce Org. Updated for Lightning.
(originally appeared on http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/302/when-setting-up-a-new-salesforce-instance-for-an-organisation-what-are-the-defa)
- Turn off the advertising - User Interface. Uncheck Enable Salesforce Notification Banner.
- Turn off the Lightning nag screen - User Interface. Check
- (NOTE that the two turning off advertising checkboxes are opposite you check one and uncheck the other!)
Even without the new Lightning Experience, all new orgs come without excellent new features enabled, and you will miss out on great functionality if you do not enable them.
Company Information and Admin
- Set Fiscal Year
- Set Business Hours
- Set Password Policies
- Set Session Settings
- Set Trusted IP Ranges
- Set Login Access Policies to be only for Admins to request Salesforce.com help.
- Ask client about restricted users and times they should be restricted to.
- Ask about Email Footers. (However, see Emails for issues with Email Footers).
- Enable State and Country Picklists.
- Set up Salesforce Mobile App settings.
- Rename Apps and Tabs if needed.
- Enable My Domain
Create a Lightning App for the organisation.
Add Follow Up Action - New Task, default to 2 days from now, assigned to the owner of the record, with the subject of Follow Up.
Global Actions Layouts
Salesforce Mobile and Lightning Experience Layout
Add Log a Call Action
Add Follow Up Action
- Add Mobile Smart Actions
Hide Polls Action
Hide Questions Action
- Hide Email Actions
Hide Thanks Actions (unless your organisation has a formal methodology around open thanks and praise, otherwise, it's just a bit naff).
Hide all New record actions unless your organisation is always creating Leads and Opportunities from wherever - (I don't think that is wise at all).
- Enable the following
- Enhanced Inline Editing
- Show Custom Sidebar on all pages (if using Classic)
- Collapsible Sections
- Hover Details
- Related Lists Hover Links
- Separate Loading of Related Lists
- Enhanced Lists
- Spell Checker
- Spell Checker on Tasks and Events
- Enhanced Profile List Views
- Enhanced Profile User Interface
- New User Interface Theme
- Improved Setup User Interface
- Do not enable
- Collapsible Sidebar (if using Classic)
- Disable the following
- Show Quick Create
- Set Company Information
- Default Timezone
- Set a domain under Company Profile -> My Domain
- Turn on Multicurrency if needed.
- Set up Chatter
- Turn on Emoticons if you are that sort of organisation
- Enable Out of Office
- Set up Feed Tracking
- Set up Record Topics
- Set up Feed Layouts (if using Classic)
- Assign Feed Layouts
- Remove all of the standard "custom fields"
- Remove all of the standard page layouts except for one
See Objects for what to do with each object.
Also See Required Apps (only for Classic)
See other articles on this topic.